One day a week, Corps Members take part in Green City Academy, the classroom and community-building component of Green City Force (GCF). Green City Academy is an important part of the Corps Member experience and a valuable tool in preparing Corps Members to be successful in their service and future employment.
Green City Academy
Areas of study include:
- Job readiness: Corps Members develop key components of professionalism, including attendance, punctuality, attitude, performance, and human and environmental values.
- Educational development: Corps Members works towards educational gains in math and literacy, with weekly reading and writing assignments and math tutoring. Corps Members prepare for success on the City University of NY (CUNY) Assessment Test (CAT).
- Career development: Career counseling, individual career plans, and guest speakers.
- Eco-literacy training: GCF teaches the Roots of Success Eco-literacy curriculum and introduces all Corps Members to a comprehensive green living system, which teaches them about sustainability, their symbiotic relationship to the natural world, environmental injustice, and how to live green.
- Technical Training: We prepare all Corps Members for Urban Green Council‘s GPRO Green Professional Building Skills Training Certificate. A subset of Corps Members receive Building Performance Institute certification (Building Analyst level) which prepares graduates for work as energy efficiency auditors, solar panel installation training provided by GRID Alternatives, and basic culinary skills training from The Sylvia Center, based on their employment and training track.