What Is a Green City Force AmeriCorps Member?
GCF AmeriCorps Members are 18-24 year olds who are currently living in NYC, are unemployed or in a dead-end job, and have a GED or high school diploma. Corps Members have to make a full-time commitment to GCF. During their time with the program, Corps Members progress through rigorous field work and classroom study. At the end of the program, GCF helps place Corps Members in a two- or four-year college, apprentice program, or employment.
Corps Members get authentic workplace experiences and learn from professionals who have had successful career paths in green jobs. Many of these professionals started at the same point as GCF Corps Members, a path we help our Corps Members emulate. Corps Members are overseen at all times by a Team Leader.
- 18-24 years old
- Currently living in a New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) development
- Unemployed or underemployed
- a GED or High School Diploma holder at the start of the program
- Available to make a full-time commitment
- Willing to put in flexible hours (with some weekends)
AmeriCorps Members participate full-time, 5 days/week. Corps Members receive:
- A stipend of $1000/month
- A 30-day Unlimited MetroCard
- A Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $2,865 (6-month program) or $5,730 (11-month program) upon completion
- Training for entry-level employment in the energy efficiency field, including certification
- A solid introduction to green jobs, including extensive hands-on experience
- Guidance in becoming environmental stewards for family and community
- Support from GCF staff in addressing personal challenges
- Training in job readiness and assistance in finding employment and/or succeeding in college at the end of the program
- The opportunity to develop and practice vital communication and leadership skills as part of a program that challenges participants to grow as an individuals and as team players.
Corps Members are expected to take part in a supportive community where they are required to have high expectations for themselves and others. We encourage Corps Members to be visionaries about their lives and about the community and world, and we expect them to work towards turning those visions into realities.
Still interested in joining?
Learn how to Apply here